Online Game Spinner (1-6) – FREE
101 or Bust! a Game to Reinforce the 4 Operations
Online Spinner Game Set Up:
Spinners at the ready? Then away we go!
What You Need:
Any number of players
1 pencil and paper per player
1 game spinner
How to Play:
- Player One uses the online game spinner to spin the wheel six times. They record the result of each spin.
- Player One then decides whether to use each number as units or tens (e.g. the number 3 can either be used as 3 or 30), then add their six numbers to get as close to 101 as possible. If the result is over 101 they will go bust and lose the round, so they should add very carefully!
- The next player then takes their turn in exactly the same way.
- Whoever calculated the number closest to 101 wins the round and a point.
- Play continues for a set number of rounds or until time runs out.
How to Win:
- Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins.
- Maintain the pace of the game by having spinning taking place while other players are calculating.
- Ensure that students check each other’s answers before moving on to the next round – points are precious!
- Students can play in teams of two, discussing how best to use the numbers to get closest to 101.
- Introduce the option of using Subtraction, Multiplication, Division and Order of Operations as well as Addition, to reach the target of 101.
- Play non-competitively by having students record how close they got to 101 in each round – can they improve their personal best?
- Points per round are awarded according to how far from 101 the player was (e.g., 95 would score 6 points). If a player goes bust, they score 50 points. The player with the least points at the end of the game wins.
Where to Next?