Spinner Games (1-10)
Wheel of Fortune
- Set up the spinner
- Decide how many rounds will be played
What You Need:
1 game spinner
A pen and paper
How to Play:
- Player One spins the wheel and jot down the result. Player One continues to spin the wheel and keeps a running total until the answer becomes a multiple of ten. When a multiple of ten is reached Player One’s turn ends – this could happen on turn one or turn twenty-one!
- Player Two then has repeats Step 1.
How to Win a Round:
- The player with the highest total wins the round.
How to Win The Game:
- The player with the most points after a given number of rounds wins.
- If playing in pairs or as a group, students can play simultaneously, taking it in turns to do one spin at a time. This gives a little extra time for students to complete the addition, as well as building a little tension!
- To play noncompetitively, students can play individually and try to beat their own scores.
- Encourage students to check each other’s adding, helping each other after a tricky spin.
- Play using a different times table to end each turn. Beware though – multiples of two tend to produce very short rounds! 🙂
- Players spin the wheel twice per turn, first for tens then for units, to generate a two-digit number.
- Players begin with a score of 100 and subtract each spin, hoping to avoid the multiples of ten and pass zero for a point.