Exactamundo! a Division Game
Click Here to —> Spin the Wheel
Game Set Up:
Load up the spinner!
What You Need:
- 1 game spinner
- tools to support division e.g. pencils, paper, multi-link cubes, number lines, calculators etc.
- any number of players
How to Play:
- Spin the spinner twice to generate a 2-digit number, then once more to generate a single digit.
- The player then solves the division calculation created by the numbers generated (e.g. 23 ÷ 4 =), using the tools provided.
- The remainder determines the player’s score. If there is no remainder, the player calls ‘Exactamundo!’ and scores zero.
- The next player then takes their turn, recording their points for the round.
How to Win the Game:
- The player with the least points after a number of rounds wins.
- Encourage students to use the tools provided for a visible representation of their math thinking – it will help their opponent to follow their thought processes, and two brains are always better than one!
- Use the term ‘what’s left?’ as the students play, building to the use of the term ‘remainder’ as they show confidence and understanding of the concept.
- Playing in teams or as a group allows students to learn and gain confidence through discussing each step of the calculation. Played a few days in a row, a group can strive to beat the score they achieved the day before.
- Play using a spinner with 1-8, 1-10 or 1-12 to practice a wider range of divisors.
- Add an element of strategy by having students rearrange the three digits generated by the spinner in an effort to create the calculation with the smallest remainder.
- Have the player with the MOST points win. You may need to alter the name of the game for this one! 🙂